Friday, June 22, 2012

A Craftable and A Laughable

Since it has been such a hot & humid week & we have been staying inside in our little cave, Owen & I decided to make our Friday night movie night extra fun. I had seen these cars on Pinterest & thought they were the perfect project for a hot summer day. We already had a box out that Owen had been playing with & it was the perfect size. I got out some black paper plates, markers, glue stick & scissors & he set off to work. Much to my delight, it occupied him for an hour. To his delight, he had the perfect car for our drive-in movie night. We added a glow-in-the-dark movie sign & some glow sticks & served dinner in hamburger baskets & fun palm tree cups.



I thought we should continue our glow-in-the-dark day with these amazing cupcakes (also seen on Pinterest) for dessert. Clearly, that was an idea that was a disaster from the start! First, the tonic water exploded all over the kitchen (apparently it was my day for everything to explode everywhere). Second, it didn't seem to matter what I added, how much I added, how much I mixed, I couldn't get the frosting to resamble frosting. It looked more like paste than anything edible! I had promised Owen glow-in-the-dark cupcakes, what was I going to do? In desperation, I grabbed a can of Pillsbury frosting from the pantry & added the food coloring & tonic water to that. After frosting the cupcakes with my makeshift frosting, I followed the next step & put them in the freezer. I don't know if it was the heat, the humidity, my freezer or the frosting, but they just wouldn't firm-up enough for me to be able to dip them. After an hour and a half, I gave up. We enjoyed cupcakes with neon green frosting & had a good laugh!


No comments:

Post a Comment