Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mom's Vinegar Cucumber & Onion Salad





My parents just left after an extended visit. We love having them here & it always inspires me to make some of the food I remember mom making when I was a kid. We didn't have a lot of money when I was little & my mom grew-up with even less, so everything is inexpensive & pretty easy; sounds good to me! I even used the same serving dish for this salad as mom always has :0

Mom's Vinegar, Cucumber & Onion Salad

*2 cucumbers
*1 onion (mom always used plain old white onions, but we prefer vidallia)
*vinegar
*water

Peel & slice 2 cucumbers, place in bowl

Peel & slice onion, place in bowl

Add water & vinegar to cover cucumber & onion. My mom always did a 2:1 ratio (if she added 2 cups of water she would add 1 cup of vinegar). We prefer more acidity, so I do a 1:1 ration (1 cup of water, 1 cup of vinegar).

Cover & place in fridge for at least 1 hour before serving. The longer it sits, the more of the vinegar you will taste.

Serve with a slotted spoon to help drain water & vinegar.

This is a simple recipe that is easy to adapt to your taste. Try different onions, more or less cucumbers or onions depending on your likes. Play with the vinegar & water ratio.

No comments:

Post a Comment